The scoliosis surgery cost Philippines can reach ₱1,000,000. Due to this high cost, some patients need to seek financial assistance from the government.
What is Scoliosis Surgery?
It is a surgery done to repair the abnormal curving of the spine.
Doctors will recommend this procedure if non-surgical treatments cannot treat the patient’s sideways curvature in the spine.
People with scoliosis have sideways curvature in the spine. In severe cases, doctors will recommend scoliosis surgery to their patients.
However, this scoliosis surgery cost Philippines is expensive. Therefore, patients must prepare the budget for this surgery.
Uses of Scoliosis Surgery
There are three main uses of scoliosis surgery.
- Reduce the Deformity: Scoliosis surgery can reduce the deformity between 50% and 70%. This success depends on the degree of flexibility of the spine. The reduced deformity will reduce the rib hump in the patient’s back and help him stand up straighter.
- Maintain Trunk Balance: During this surgery, surgeons will change the spine’s position to reduce the deformity and, at the same time, keep the patients’ legs and hips as even as possible.
- Stop the Curve’s Progress: Sometimes, the patient’s spine is not flexible so surgeons cannot rotate or change its position to reduce curvature. In this case, the surgery can only stop the curve’s progress in the patient’s spine.
Types of Scoliosis Surgery
Scoliosis surgery is available in several types.
These types affect the scoliosis surgery cost Philippines. based on the approach, scoliosis surgery is differentiated into these types.
In this surgery, surgeons will make an incision on the patient’s back and straighten his spine using a rigid rod, bone graft, and spinal fusion instrumentation.
If the patient is a child, surgeons will use an expanding rod in this surgery.
This approach requires the patient to lay on his side so surgeons can make an incision on the side of his body and straighten the curvature.
Surgeons usually use VAT technology to make this surgery less invasive and more successful.
Surgeons will remove the laminae of the vertebrae to create more space for the nerves.
They may also use spinal fusion to change the spine’s curvature if the patient experiences scoliosis and spinal stenosis.
4.Minimally Invasive Surgery
This scoliosis surgery type allows surgeons to straighten the spine with minimal tissue trauma.
In performing this procedure, they use endoscopy and advanced fluoroscopy to help them accurately place the hardware in the spine.
Surgical Options for Idiopathic Scoliosis
Idiopathic scoliosis is a scoliosis type whose causes are unknown.
Doctors may recommend one of the surgical options below for this condition.
- Fusion: This surgical procedure permanently fuses several adjacent vertebrae so the spine stops curving. Fusion scoliosis surgery is a common procedure. Moreover, the fusion scoliosis surgery cost Philippines is relatively more affordable than the minimally invasive surgery cost.
- Growing Systems: In this procedure, surgeons use an expanding rod to repair the curvature. Children who have this procedure need to have another surgery every 6 to 12 months to get the surgeons to lengthen the rod.
- Fusionless: Fusionless scoliosis surgery is a surgical procedure in which surgeon use growth modulation to help the spine grows straighter.
What Are the Signs and Symptoms of Scoliosis?
The symptoms of scoliosis are:
- Sideway curvature in the spine is more than 10% in children and more than 30% in adults.
- Slanted shoulders, hips, or waist.
- Back pain.
Scoliosis Surgery Cost Philippines
How much is scoliosis surgery in Philippines?
The scoliosis surgery cost in Philippines is expensive, but it is no more expensive than that in other Southeast Asian countries.
Moreover, Filipino citizens can get financial assistance from PCSO, government agencies, Philhealth, and private health insurance to have this surgery.
The scoliosis surgery cost Philippines list is as follows.
|Spinal fusion surgery||Starts from ₱150,000|
|Scoliosis surgery||Starts from ₱550,000 to ₱1,000,000|
|Financial assistance for Scoliosis Surgery||₱100,000|
How Does Scoliosis Surgery Work?
What happens during scoliosis surgery? During the surgery, surgeons will put the patient under general anesthetic.
After that, they will make an incision and apply spinal fusion instrumentation, rod, or growth modulation instrument to repair the sideways curvature of the spine.
Surgeons need 3 to six hours to perform children’s scoliosis surgery and 4 to 7 hours to perform adolescent scoliosis surgery.
After the surgery, patients need to recover in the hospital for at least 10 days.
What Are the Risks of Scoliosis Surgery?
What are possible scoliosis surgery risks? Some scoliosis surgery after effects is blood loss that requires a transfusion, nerve injury, lung problems, intestinal obstruction, and gallstones.
Moreover, long after the surgery, patients may experience pain, disk degeneration, and new spine problems in children.
Recovery from Scoliosis Surgery
Does scoliosis surgery work?
Yes, it does, especially if the surgeons who performed this surgery are skillful and experienced in performing scoliosis surgery.
However, it takes months for patients to fully recover. The scoliosis surgery recovery may take up to 3 months.
References : mayoclinic.org , medlineplus.gov